Thursday 27 November 2008

Koh Chang, Thailand




My journal entry today:

"The sun is setting over the clear blue waters of the Gulf of Thailand. I am sat at a quiet cafe at the end of a tranquil beach on the island's White Sands resort. My home is Bo's Huts, a lucky find for a weary, lone traveller at 8pm last night. Everyone is so welcoming. I find myself here having detoured on the way to Cambodia, thanks to Len, a friendly Aussie who sang Koh Chang's praises. I can see why.






My hut is far above ground-level, with a backdrop of lush emerald-green forest and rugged mountains populated with monkeys, who were scrambling on my roof as I drifted off to sleep. The sounds are mesmerising. I awoke to the whispering sound of the waves crashing against the shore, just metres away from my hut. It's quite something arriving in the calm candlelight, then waking up in a beautiful resort in all it's glory. What a perfect start to my trip.

Today of course is a special day of remembrance. The anniversary of the day my father sadly passed away. A day which undoubtedly was the catalyst for this trip, a day which has changed my life irrevocably. He wrote a sonnet encouraging one to live every day as if it were the last. The long hours spent chained to a desk now seem a world away, a world to which I hope never to return. I have a new world ahead of me. As I watch the vermillion sun set gently over a fishing boat bobbing in the turquoise waters, I have no idea what the future holds. Do I care? Not a jot.

Well that's enough of my sentimental ramblings. I'll write my next installment from Cambodia, if I ever make it off this island..........."

Vic x

8 comments:

Kate said...

Hello you lovely wordsmith. So good to hear from you. I've been wondering what you've been up to...and it sounds amazing. Love you lots xx

Ginge said...

Lady Vic - you made my weep before breakfast!

Take care my love, big kisses

xx

Hayley said...

Oh how lovely to hear from you! you sound like your having a fantastic time. I'm so sorry I missed your text before you left Manchester tried leaving a voice message but you probably didnt get it. I think uve lost your way, I need to find a publisher you should be a journalist or a writer. I need to go the baby is crying, what I would do to be in your world for 48 hours. lots of love, take care 'the Staffords' xxx

Viv said...

Vic, you write beautifully. Koh Chang sounds totally stunning. I'm inspired by your Dad's sonnett, think I may pay heed to his advice in 2009.
Lots of love and take good care of yourself
More soon please!
Viv
x x x

Jen said...

Hey you,

Glad to hear you are doing well. It makes me wonder what on earth I am doing here chained to my dest. You are an inspiration vik and you just made me cry.
Take care you and keep in touch,
LOL,

Jen x x x

Unknown said...

Dearest Vic,
Sounds like a wondorous start. I know you are going to have an amazing time, and you deserve it. London town is treating me well. Jay and I just had a fun packed weekend. Alas, the weather is shite, I'm envying your sunshine.
Take lots of care and keep us all updated on your adventure, we are all thinking of you.
Shells xxx

Bec P said...

Hi Vic,

Sounds some lovely where you are, really happy for you and looking forward to reading more about your adventure.

Keep up the writting, it's nice to read about when your sitting in a trading estate in Hammersmith!

take care
x
Bec

deli llama said...

Vic, Sounds good. Glad you made it. blog on. Drank some water in an Indian in Bowden, from aspring in Cornwall, bottled in Audenshaw. It had a picture of a lotus flower.Paani, fizzy paani......just water....love from a deli llama