Thursday 25 December 2008

Merry Christmas from Sihanoukville, Cambodia


I finally left Thailand, but only because my visa ran out. The first thing that struck me in Cambodia, having only been here a matter of minutes, was the gap between the haves and the have-nots. It's heartbreaking. There has been much growth over the past few years, and it's not cheap to eat as a tourist, yet most of the needy don't benefit. It's so terribly sad.

Quite fitting then that I landed here for Christmas. Although I am away from home, at least I have one. In Cambodia rising income inequality is having a profound effect, fueling human rights violations across the country. I don't want to get too morbid on Christmas day, but I'm in a country where human trafficking and land grabbing (where whole villages are displaced) is rife.

As you tuck into your turkey and rip open your Christmas presents, give a thought to those less fortunate. We may be experiencing hard times economically, but at least we are not being thrown out of our homes or sold into prostitution.

I don't feel sad being away for Christmas, instead I feel blessed that I have a safe and secure home and friends and family that miss me. I've had a lovely day on the beach and even watched a rubbish Christmas movie. My Christmas eve lunch was chicken from a market stall for one dollar. It was so boney that I suspect it may have been something else. Dog or sparrow anyone (they are popular meats in Cambodia)? I'm not sure what's worse as there has recently been a bird flu outbreak not so far from here. Let's hope I make it to the new year.......

2 comments:

Hayley said...

Merry Christmas Victoria xx It's like waiting for a bed time story with your regular upd8's. It sounds amazing and seeing it through your eyes makes it sound even more exciting! Xmas in the North West was very much the same apart from we were blessed with blue sky and a bit of sunshine. Santa was kind and he has left something here for you - I will keep it safe. My memories of Cambodia in Jan 08 were not the best as I told you I felt so sad when we left, I do remember on a positive note how friendly the locals were :) Darren and I celebrated our 1st Anniversary yesterday we ate out having only the best - Thai food! Ethan is growing fast he now has 3 chins and chubby fat legs - Bless him. love hearing from you it stops me from worrying, we will have a drink for you on new years eve. Lots of Love xxxxxxxx

Helen said...

Vic, so good to see your pics and hear about all your adventures! Hope the Christmas dinner wasn't too dodgy...
Just gearing up to go out for New Year drinks, it's very very cold here with freezing fog. Have a good New Year hon, and keep updating us with the installments,
lots of love from me, Jase and the cats, love Helen xxx