Friday 2 January 2009

Romance

I was assured by my friends that I would meet a few fitties on my travels. Well so far I've not met the man of my dreams, but I have had some interesting offers.

First there was Jan, a Thai who plied me with whisky in an attempt to get me to his room to "boom boom". I don't think he meant he wanted to listen to music with me.

Next there was Peter, a Nepalese tailor, who tried to woo me with the lure of a free pair of black slacks "depending on how friendly we become". I wonder how friendly we needed to be for say a shift dress or a full three-piece suit? I didn't wait to find out.

I've had some interesting encounters with Finnish men. The first, Yaloo, a bearded bloke (alas not the folky type, more akin to Captain Birdseye's facial forest), offered me a drink. I accepted at his insistence, only to find out he had no money to pay for the damn drinks. There was something wrong with his cards he claimed. Stupidly I footed the bill. Some things never change.

The next Finnish guy told me he was looking for a wife and invited me to his room within minutes of meeting me. I spent Christmas eve with him (not in his room I might add). I bumped into him and his mate yesterday. We are going to the "breathtaking" Four Thousand Islands together today. It's an important wetland habitat for both bird and aquatic life. I hope to catch a glimpse of the rare Irrawaddy dolphin, of which sadly there are only a few left. Let's hope the Finnish guy is interested in more than just bird watching.

2 comments:

deli llama said...

I think I saw it on t.v. it has abar amongst the islands. J.Clarkson and crew did apiece there it looked unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

Hiya Vic,

Oh how your blog has cheered me up today. Loving hearing how you're getting on. We're off to Fi's house tonight for tea, so we'll think of you our long lost travelling pal.

Happy New Year chuck.

love Row xxxxx